Friday, February 24, 2012

Fun Fridays: Q&A with author Dee J. Adams


These days it's difficult for me to find time to sit down and actually read a book, so I often rely on audiobooks to get my storytime fix. It doesn't seem that long ago since I began and finished the audiobook of Dangerous Race by Dee J. Adams, and today I started listening to its just-released sequel, Danger Zone. I loved the first book, which was an entertaining blend of romance, suspense and action-adventure, and Danger Zone sounds like it's going to be a worthy predecessor, which is why I invited Dee to be my Q&A guest today.

Danger Zone:
In her ten-year career as a stuntwoman, Ellie Morgan has experienced her share of thrills. None compares to the rush of being behind the wheel of a race car for her latest movie shoot. Certain she was born to race, Ellie’s ready to shift gears—but a secret from her past holds her back.
Quinn Reynolds is tired of being in the driver’s seat of his family’s company, Formula Racing Design. He’s ready to sell—if he can get his co-owner and brother, Mac, to agree. Quinn’s not sure what he wants to do with his future, but almost as soon as he meets Ellie, he knows he wants her to be part of it.
Though Ellie tries to resist her attraction to the charming businessman, she’s quickly in danger of losing her heart. But after narrowly escaping “accidents” both on and off the set, it becomes clear that getting involved with Quinn could be downright deadly...


Angela: I have to start off by saying I really loved reading Dangerous Race and have been eagerly anticipating its sequel, Danger Zone! I'm listening to the audiobook now, in fact. What inspired this series?

Dee: Thank you! And thank you for letting me play in your sandbox today. I’m really jazzed to be here. So, to answer your question… Dangerous Race was inspired by my visit to the Indianapolis 500. There was only one female in the race that year and I wondered what kinds of obstacles a woman might have to endure in such a male-dominated sport. Danger Zone came later when Quinn kept asking for his own HEA. He was tired of bed hopping and needed a stable gal to reel him in. Though racing is prevalent in both books, it’s not the through line of the series. Anything that gets the blood pumping is what drives this series.

Angela: How many books are you planning in the series? Which one was your favorite to write?

Dee: I’m halfway through a fourth book now, but I don’t have a specific number in my head. My favorite … wow, that’s a tough one. Like asking who your favorite child is. LOL. I may have to go with Danger Zone because it revolves around an industry I love. Show business has been a huge part of my life for twenty-five years. And there’s the fact that I got to narrate it, so it’s close to my heart for that reason. I was able to tell this story the way I want people to hear it. That is immensely satisfying!

Angela: I think it's awesome that you narrated the audiobook of Danger Zone! And although I'm only a few chapters in, I can say with sincerity that you've done a terrific job. Congratulations! What was that experience like?

Dee: It was AMAZING! I was so nervous, but I had such a great time. It had been years since I’d been in a recording studio, but I guess it’s like riding a bicycle… it all came back to me. It was a huge challenge to speak slowly because I’m normally such a fast reader. Anytime I made a mistake and had to stop, the director would say, “You’re doing great, just slow it down a tiny bit more.” I think the poor guy must have said it a dozen times in the course of the four-day session. And I’d always shake my head because that was my biggest fear. (Or at least one of them!)

Angela: Flash forward five years from the end of your book: What do you think your main characters have been up to?

Dee: That’s easy. (I’m thinking about Danger Zone here.) Ellie is one of the top race car drivers in the business with millions of dollars of endorsements and Quinn has opened a chain of his schools designed to help students with learning disabilities.

Angela: So tell us, what are you working on next?

Dee: Right now I’m finishing the edits for Dangerously Close due in July. Then it’s back to work on a potential fourth book in the series. I’m about sixty percent finished, so there’s still a ton of work to do.

Let’s get to know Dee the person with these questions:
Angela: Are you a member of any TV show/film/book fandoms?

Dee: Nope. Clearly I’m hugely boring.

Angela: Nah, hardly boring! What’s the last book you read?

Dee: I just finished an ARC of Suzanne Brockmann’s Born to Darkness, the first book in her Fighting Destiny series. Holy cow…it might be my new favorite Brockmann book to date. I can’t recommend it highly enough. I couldn’t put that puppy down.

Angela: If you could spend one day as any fictional character, which one and why?

Dee: Oh, man, another tough one. Okay, I know this is lame, but I can’t come up with one specific name, but I can tell you what she’s made of and why. I would be any kick-ass female who can save herself and her man. She can throw a punch or wear a gown with equal parts perfection. She’s smart, funny, loyal and an animal lover who gets along with men and women alike. So any fictional character who fits that bill, is who I’d like be for a day.

Angela: Celebrity crush?

Dee: George Clooney

Angela: Hobbies?

Dee: I love to read. And love to cheer my kid on in sports. I like the occasional racket ball or tennis game every once in a while. I wish I had more hobbies, but I don’t seem to have the time.

I want to thank Dee for stopping by today and sharing her thoughts with us! The Danger series is now available for purchase on the Carina Press website and ebooksellers everywhere. You can also connect with Dee in the following ways: Twitter | Website | Facebook.

12 comments:

Lynne Marshall said...

thank you, Angela, for bringing Dee J to your blog. I enjoyed learning more about her and her books, and look forward to reading Danger Zone. However, I'm really tempted to "listen" to it since she read it herself!

Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said...

So awesome that you got to narrate your own audiobook! You have a great speaking voice, Dee, so I'm sure you did a wonderful job.
I love the 'Dangerous' titles, BTW-sexy and intriguing. :)

Dee J. said...

Hi Lynne,

You're going to laugh at this...anytime someone mentions "listening" to the book I have a little moment of panic. I forget that I did it and hope it's going to sound okay. LOL. Apparently the paranoid actor in me lives on. Haha. Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Eden!

Thanks! I had a great time in the studio so hopefully it comes across in the story telling. I'll tell you a secret...I was thrilled that Carina Press opted to keep my titles. I like them too. Thanks for coming over!

Christine Ashworth said...

What a great interview! Hey Dee J, did Audible do the book, or did Books In Motion do it?

I'm hoping to settle down with Danger Zone this weekend. Cheers dear!

And thanks, Angela, for having Dee J here!

Dee J. said...

Hi Christine!

Audible. And I was very lucky that the studio was only a few minutes from my home. It worked out great! Oh! I hope you enjoy Danger Zone! Thanks for picking it up and also for dropping by!

Shawna Thomas said...

Hi Dee and Angela! Great interview! I can so identify with not finding the time to sit down and read. I find myself reading at stop lights, while stirring something for dinner or any time I have 5 minutes alone. I'm going to have to invest in some audiobooks. : )

Angela Campbell said...

Thanks for stopping by. Very happy to have Dee on the blog today. And yes, Shawna, audiobooks are the way to go if you don't have time to sit down and read!

Dee J. said...

Hi Shawna!

Thanks for stopping in! I agree. It's getting harder and harder finding time to read. But reading at stoplights! Yikes! Don't get a ticket! LOL. Gosh, I think I have an audio book you could start with. Haha!

Hi Angela! Thanks again for having me today!

Ann King said...

Hi Dee,

It's so great listening to you, the author, reading her own book! I am so happy that you got to do that and I love listening to you! Looking forward to Dangerously Close. Maybe you will get to narrate that one too? Hope so!

Dee J. said...

Hi Ann,

Thank you so much! I guess I'll have to wait and see how Danger Zone does before I find out about narrating Dangerously Close. Fingers crossed! I'm so glad you enjoy listening to it. Whew!

Robin Bielman said...

Hi Angela and Dee! Great interview! I'm reading Danger Zone right now and loving it! Very cool that you got to narrate your book, Dee! I've never listened to a book, but I'm thinking I really should try it sometime.

Dee J. said...

Hi Robin!

I'm so glad you're enjoying Danger Zone! Yay. Thanks for picking it up!
I recommend first listening to a best selling author or an author you love. Check to see if the narrator has done all or most of their books and that will tell you the author is happy with the result. It's a good sign that the narrator knows what they are doing. Susan Elizabeths Phillips' Natural Born Charmer is one of the best books I've read or listened to. A perfect beginning place if you're really interested in hearing a great book!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...