Monday, July 1, 2013

Announcement day: My series is being published!


I've been sitting on this news for a while at my new publisher's request, and whew, is it a relief to finally be able to tell people!

It’s now official! Harper Impulse has very kindly contracted me for three books in my psychic detectives series, and the first book — ON THE SCENT — will be released July 25!!! Yes, that’s only 24 days away! Can you believe it?

If you’ve been following my blog, you might know the difficulties I had in finding a publisher for this book (and planned books in the series). You might be thinking to yourself, Angie, have you finally snapped? No! An amazing thing happened at the beginning of June. And I promise it didn't happen in my imagination!

First things first: I received an offer from a publisher who wasn’t Harper Impulse! Seriously. I had to pinch myself to believe someone had finally shown an interest in the story. I was very down on it at that point. You know, having one of those “Why bother?” moments toward my writing. I had submitted this book to a few publishers, and since I am far too cautious (and weird) to ever jump at a first offer, I sent a nudge email to the other publishers who were still considering ON THE SCENT. I didn’t hear anything at all back that first week, so I assumed the worst, did my research about the publisher who’d offered me a two-book deal, and was thisclose to making the decision to sign with them. Then I logged onto my personal email on a Monday morning and saw two emails regarding my Harper Impulse submission.

I expected to see another form rejection and had to do a what-the-what? double-take when I didn't. That first email was encouraging. It said simply that my manuscript was still being reviewed, and they asked if they could have a decision to me by the end of the week? Well, heck yes! Then I clicked on the second email, sent a short while after the first.

It was from Harper Impulse editor Charlotte Ledger offering me a three-book contract!

I nearly spat out my drink, y’all. Seriously. I DID have to ask someone to pinch me, because I was certain I was either dreaming or having a full psychotic episode at that point. Thankfully, neither was the case. Since I was at work in the Eastern U.S. and Charlotte was based in London, we forgoed “the call” for a series of emails instead. Since I’m a bit of an anglophile nowadays thanks to my obsessions with Doctor Who and Henry Cavill, I was a bit disappointed I wouldn't get to hear her talk, but that’s okay. I kept thinking, “Wow, my future publishing team could be based in Britain!” As in, maybe someday I will have a somewhat legitimate reason to visit London and stalk Henry Cavill and the cast of Doctor Who. Fist pump.

To make a long story short, I weighed the pros and cons of each publisher carefully before deciding to go with Harper Impulse. I kid you not, then the other publisher counter offered. Awesome, right? Er, yes, and kind of not. Basically I’m a big ole wuss, so having to consider this new offer was torture for me. I wanted to tell them both yes, but that’s stupid, I know.

That other publisher was Boroughs Publishing, by the way, and I have nothing but good things to say about my dealings with them. I was a bit sad at finally telling them I was passing, because Jill Limber had shown such enthusiasm for my writing. 

In the end, I went with my gut instinct and accepted the contract with Harper Impulse, and so far, I’m happy with the way things have turned out. Charlotte and I have bonded over a shared love for all things Henry Cavill (he was the physical inspiration for the hero in ON THE SCENT, by the way), and she seems to adore animals as much as I do, I think. She and I…well, we’re getting along like jelly on toast! At least, she hasn't blocked my emails yet. I consider that the start of a promising relationship.

I’ve finished book two of my series and am starting on book three while I also edit book two. Essentially, I’m back to being focused on my writing again, drinking too much caffeine, getting very little sleep, and praying I produce readable material. I’m certain I also look like a Fraggle right now, but heh. I’m a writer. It happens.

So yeah, that's my news. Woot!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this story and congrats on the offer by not one but TWO publishers! Go, you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...