Monday, March 31, 2014

My reaction to "The Walking Dead" season finale last night

{SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen the season finale of "The Walking Dead" that aired last night but plan to, you might want to skip this post until later}

***
So last night was the season finale, and I've chewed my nails off expecting lots of deaths of characters I've grown to care about as much as friends I see once a week who have been through awful things. I was expecting a big death, maybe Rick, maybe Carl, maybe even (gulp) Daryl, Glenn, Maggie or Michonne — my faves. So this is my animated recap of my reaction to what happened. 

So the episode started with a flashback to a time at the prison. There was Hershel! And Beth! And the whole Season 4 gang together again. Just like old times. It made me feel kind of like this.


But kind of like, oh no, something really, really bad is about to happen. (gulp)

And then it showed Rick sitting there, in present time, covered in blood with this look on his face, and I was like...


Cause I figured that meant Carl was probably a goner, and even though Carl is annoying as all get out, I mean, he's still a kid and Rick's son, so you'd have to be soulless not at least feel something...

Then the credits rolled. Then we were back with Rick, Carl, and Michonne where the last episode ended with them. Rick showed Carl how to set that rabbit trap, which now that I'm thinking about it was great foreshadowing, because Terminus was exactly like that trap, wasn't it?

Anyway. 

So then, boom! The Claimers showed up, gun pointed at Rick's head. 


Just when things started to look hopeless, oh yeah, here comes Daryl! But wait! Is Daryl gonna backslide and side with his new gang of baddies or is he gonna help out his old homies and try to save Rick?


Of course he totally offered himself up as a sacrifice to save Rick, Michonne, and Carl in a totally noble and heroic fashion. And even though I knew that was going to end badly, I was still like this...


Anyway, then all hell broke loose when the Claimers started beating the crap out of Daryl, and then that total weirdo straight out of Deliverance went after Carl with the obvious intent to rape the kid, and I was like...OK, he needs a haircut and kind of looks like a girl now, but still. He's still a kid, and maybe I like him more than I thought I did...


And then Rick totally loses it and goes all beast, ripping out the leader guy's throat and everyone is so shocked for like a minute, including me... I mean. He BIT THE GUY'S NECK OPEN!



But this gives Daryl a chance to put the whoopass on the guys beating him and Michonne time to go Ninja Warrior on the guy holding her down. Then Rick goes even more crazy killing the guy who was assaulting his son, and suddenly I realize I probably need therapy, because even though I consider myself a nonviolent pacifist, I'm all like (cause those scumbags totally deserved it...)


Yeah!!!

So then Rick and Daryl have their bro time and I'm all like... (again)


And Michonne and Carl have their besties moment, and suddenly, our four heroes have made it to...


And I'm thinking, OK, where the heck are Glenn and Maggie, because when we last saw Glenn, Maggie and their group, they'd just found Terminus — the supposed safe haven for survivors of the apocalypse. But even then, things seemed....weird. 

After a seemingly benign meeting with Gareth and some other Terminus folks, Rick spots (gulp) Glenn's watch and riot gear and that familiar poncho on OTHER people, so he goes on the defense, demanding to know where his friends are. But then I remember that barbecue going behind them and the "plate of food" Gareth offered them. Gulp! How do they have so much food when Rick and his troops are starving?

So I realize, these people are CANNIBALS! And Terminus is a trap to lure people in to be eaten! And I'm like...



But do I stop watching? Of course not! I can't. As horrible as that is, I have to know. What happened to Glenn and Maggie!?!?!?

And then I start thinking. Oh no. Glenn and Maggie are dead, aren't they? Go ahead and break my heart, The Walking Dead. Just do it!


And then I start to get upset, expecting the worst, and I fully anticipate an ugly cry coming on...


And then I start thinking, holy crackers, is Beth food, too? Is that why she was kidnapped and where she was taken?

And then there's an epic shootout between Rick's small group and the Terminus folks. And yep, did you notice that pile of human bones they ran past trying to get away? Gulp.

And then it becomes clear Rick and his friends are trapped, and they are sent into that train car for only God knows why, and my heart starts to prepare itself for absolute horror, knowing there are only five minutes left in the episode. 

And then...is that someone in the next train car? Is it....is it Glenn? And Maggie! Yes! It is! And Sonya and Bob and Tara and Abraham and Rosita and Eugene! ALL ALIVE! I totally want to reach into my TV and do this...


And I'm like...


And then I realize, well, crap. They're all trapped with a bunch of likely cannibals waiting outside to eat them for dinner. And then...and THEN...Rick utters those awesome words...


The credits roll, and I jump to my feet, like...


Because NO ONE DIED...at least not obviously, like I had expected. But then I'm like, oh wait. They're still trapped...and where on God's green earth is Beth??? And WHY DOESN'T MAGGIE CARE ABOUT HER SISTER? She hasn't asked about her once the entire second half of the season...


And what about Carol, Tyrese and Judith? 


And then I realize I have to wait until October to find out, so I'm like...


The end.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...